Imagine a place where you’re going to spend somewhere in the order of 1440 hours (or more) a year. You’d want those hours to be comfortable, right? And not too detrimental to your health?
Welcome to … your desk set-up!
Yes – if you’re a desk-jockey of any stripe, you’re more than likely to spend more than a thousand hours a year sitting (or possibly standing) at this small piece of real estate. So, what can you do to make those hours comfortable and productive?
Key workspace ergonomics
When it comes to your desk set-up, there are a few key areas that you need to get right to ensure your health and well-being: your chair, your desk height, your monitor height, the ease to which you have access to your tools of the trade, and your lighting. You may not notice these things in isolation, but an uncomfortable chair, a messy desk or glare on your computer screen can wear you down over time.
Ergonomic tips and hints for your desk set-up
Every individual is going to have different needs when it comes to their workspace, but there are some key things to hone in on:
- Adjust your chair and desk height so your forearms and thighs are roughly parallel to the floor, with your feet flat.
- Position your monitor 40 to 75cm away, and ensure the top of the monitor is level with, or slightly below, your eye level.
- If possible, aim to spend at least some of your day standing – preferably at an adjustable or dedicated standing desk. (Sitting, after all, is the new smoking.)
- If you do have to sit – and we probably all have to at some point! – invest in a chair that provides good lumbar support and that adjusts to meet your seat depth, chair height and recline-ability requirements.
- Place your mouse and keyboard close enough to your body that you’re not reaching for them (elbows by your sides, people!), and type with your wrists flat or angled downwards.
- Keep bric-a-brac, personal memorabilia, tchotchkes, curios, ornaments, bibelots and whatnot to a minimum. (A cluttered desk = a cluttered mind!) Store things you need daily (a pen, notebook or water bottle, for instance) within reach and everything else off your desk.
- Aim for natural light whenever possible (it improves mood, focus and sleep!), but ensure your monitor is not reflecting the sun’s glare.
- Invest in some foliage plants – biophilia is big right now, and with good reason – indoor plants have been shown to boost productivity by as much as 15%.
Ergonomic computer equipment to meet your desk set-up needs
If your monitor is small and outdated – or you need a second monitor to boost your workplace productivity, the dedicated Geelong Technology Group sales team are standing by to help. We can also advise on the best desktop computer to meet your needs or assist with comfort-boosting accessories such as wrist rests, ergonomic keyboards, or rollerball or trackball mice.
Servicing Geelong and its surroundings, including Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Bellarine Peninsula, Surf Coast, Golden Plains, Colac and Warrnambool, the experts at GTG are looking forward to providing comfortable solutions to help out with the next 1440 hours of your working life!
Give us a call or drop by our specialised service centre and showroom to chat in person:
📞 1300 GET GTG (1300 438 484)
📍 166 Francis St, Belmont